Sunday, June 11, 2017

Saturday Bike Ride

Hello,

My goal, back when it was too cold for me to ride, was to ride every summer Saturday that I was scheduled to work. Saturday was my day, but the heat was to be well up in the 90’s. I convinced Leroy that I would take extra snack so I would be charged up to come home. I would start with a full water bottle and not ride hard. After all I had no need to be there at a certain time.

Leroy rode with me in the morning and again we set off in plenty of time, mostly because he wanted to beat the heat on his way home. The temperature was in the 70’s with a nice bit of wind. He tells me that his ride home was still very nice. I so enjoyed the 12 mile ride to work. I would like to feel comfortable doing that every working day, but my work times do not fit that need. If it was only five miles I would do it.

I saw a deer dash across in front of us. Leroy was looking elsewhere and missed it. He did see the very small rabbit that came out of the brush, saw us and scampered away.

Work was not so busy with people, perhaps because of the heat. That means that I was able to catalog some books that have been sitting on the shelf above my desk for a week or so. It felt good to be able to take care of some of those items.

Before the trip home, I ate my snack, filled my water bottle, slathered on sunscreen, and reminded myself to take it easy as I felt the heat attack me when leaving the building. It was not so bad. The wind was behind or blowing from the side giving me an assist for almost half of the trip. At one point I was going down a slight down grade and coasting with the wind at my back I got to 19 mph. I could always tell when the wind was helping because it seemed there was no wind, but turning a corner or looking at the trees told me otherwise.

Leroy did not even have supper ready when I got there because he thought I would be later than that. I used that time to take a shower so all was good.


Paula

No comments: