Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Trip North

Hello,

Leroy and I went to Brian’s home to babysit while the parents took a long weekend break. Our trip north was quite uneventful with no snow or ice to think about, only where is a restroom when I need it? I did have a deer dash across in front of me, but it revealed itself in time for me to slow considerably. I was happy to see it just interested in crossing the four lanes of traffic. What do you suppose it feels like for them to run across pavement? Leroy noted that it was a bit surprising to see it because it was getting close to noon when deer are traditionally supposed to be resting in the shade. On the way home I was once again driving in the heat of the day when another deer trotted across in front of me. This one was a bit farther ahead so it did not cause my heart to beat faster, nor did I go into high alert mode for ten miles.

It was cool when we left so we both had a hard time taking clothes that were appropriate for the hot temperatures that came everyday while we were there. I had packed shorter sleeves and shorter pants than Leroy did, consequently I was more comfortable.  Leroy “borrowed” a pair of shorts from Brian. The shorts even fit Leroy quite well.

It is interesting to me how much less gas we use with the newer car. Makes me think I should up grade as well, but it is more difficult to see my way to doing that when the current car shows no sign of stopping in the near future. Should I be hoping for a serious break down? I also have to say that I liked driving the automatic especially in city traffic.

Miriam and Andy are going to visit this summer. Andy, who has a greater interest in cars than we do, said he would take me out to test drive some of the newer vehicles that he feels would be good for me with all the safety features that I now lack. I have read that it might be smart for older people to rent cars so they get all the new upgrades every few years as cars are steadily improved. As someone whose car ownership philosophy has been to drive them until they fall apart in a heap, it is a big mental stretch to think of having new cars frequently. Seems like a waste. My current car is a 2004 model and has 137,000+ miles on it.


Paula

No comments: