Sunday, August 28, 2016

Second camping night

Hello,

We went back to the camp site with me wearing a turtle neck, thicker pants, winter hat, scarf and long socks that came up to my knees. Leroy had also augmented his wardrobe.

When the sun started to go down it was great to sit around the camp fire. Andy’s parents came up to visit with us. It was quite fine sitting around. In preparation for bed we added a large wool blanket that covered Olivia, Nora, and Leroy. I got a twin sized wool blanket just for me. Andy, who had some obligations, came up later and brought the down comforter from their bed. Miriam had already added a blanket over their queen airbed and under their sleeping bags. With an additional blanket on top. Their sleeping bags are rated for 0 F and 15 F. They let Leroy and I take the comforter. It was wonderful. I am so grateful for the geese and sheep that contributed along with Miriam and Andy.

Leroy and I both just wore our warmer clothes to bed and did not change. Almost seems sinful, but it was good. Leroy and some others wore a hat to bed, but I was so much warmer that I did not even mummy.

With judicious use of the temporary facilities or pee pot, I was able to avoid going outside the tent for the entire night. I had brought one the night before but the lid was not secure so I had to empty it and make the forays out in the cold. After I had used it a couple times Leroy had to go so I asked him to empty it. I was able to stay in the tent until morning. Leroy only went out once, and Miriam said she did not hear the zipper.

We still slid downhill in our bags. I got up twice to try to adjust the girl’s position with limited success. At least we knew enough to have the feet pointing downhill so we did not slide out of the bags.

Even though the temperatures were quite cool in the morning, perhaps low 40’s, it was just fine outside because I was not cold to begin with. The morning before my fingers were so cold that I could not button a shirt that I wanted to add to my layers. Leroy helped, but he also had trouble. I thought the buttons were too large for the buttonhole since I almost never button that shirt. Yesterday I had no trouble with those buttons. I believe that our core temperature had dropped from being cold all night long, affecting our dexterity.

It was almost euphoric to be warm all night and comfortable in the morning.


Paula

No comments: