Sunday, August 21, 2016

Feelings: Hard or Easy

Hello,

Leroy and I both work quite a lot in the garden and much of the result goes to other people. Generally I am quite fine with that as that garden is for all. But I realized that my altruistic feelings do not spread very far beyond the neighborhood. Our neighborhood has over a 1000 living spaces in it that get the newsletter. This garden serves a large area. Overall not so many in the neighborhood take advantage of the garden in either the sense of produce or contribute work.

Yesterday when I came to the garden I saw the closest neighbor talking to a couple. I went right to work looking for my arch enemies, the squash bugs. While there I heard this neighbor tell the woman, “Here is a bag. You can pick as many tomatoes as you want as many of them go to waste.”

I felt a bit ticked because every day that I attack these bugs I pick ripe produce of one kind or another. I have not left many tomatoes to rot. Once in a while one gets missed, but not often. When the woman got closer to me, I greeted her and asked if she was from the neighborhood. She replied with her almost full bag, “No, but I am from Cedar Rapids and he, pointing at the neighbor, is my relative. I went to the farmer’s market this morning and bought tomatoes to freeze.”

Selfish me, all I could think was I am not doing all this work for the entire city. Since that moment, I have been praying about my lack of generosity, but it is a struggle.

On the positive side, Leroy has managed to change his nursing home service schedule so there is only one left on Sunday. His weekends will be free except when he needs to help with worship in the church. How nice is that? We are looking forward to some time off together.


Paula

No comments: