Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Tools

Hello,

I have a great volunteer at the library. One who comes when I am the only employee on site so I can have him do many jobs. There are some weeds around the building that I had him pull last week, but he had few tools. So, yesterday, I gathered a pruner and a digger. The car was locked in the garage so I put those tools on the hood close to the windshield thinking I would surely see them when I got in the car. Wrong on that vision supposition! I hopped in the car, backed out of the garage, drove down the street, got on the interstate, got my speed up to the limit and settled in only to hear a rattle three miles down the road. The tools were on the hood enjoying the windy ride. I panicked wondering where I could pull off and rescue them. I slowed a little, looked for bumps and pulled off on my usual ramp, checked to see that no one was behind me, pulled to the side, put on my flashers, opened my door a bit only to have a car zoom past at 55 or 60 mph, yanked my door shut, checked for traffic and when it was clear brought in those pesky tools. When my volunteer came I learned that he had also brought a bucket of tools so mine were not needed.

We normally do not lock the cars in the garage, but Saturday our downstairs friend came home only to notice that our garage door was open. I had probably forgotten to close it when I rode the bike home. Tired would be my excuse. At any rate Leroy checked in the garage founding nothing he knew about missing. As a precaution he locked the car doors and mumbled something about locking up the bicycles. It all seems like too much bother. Since then I have driven the car twice and not locked when in the garage. It is difficult to put another step in my memory file, so it is not there.


Paula

No comments: