Friday, August 5, 2016

Rain and bugs

Hello,

Last evening Leroy and I went to the garden to tackle squash bugs. It was not long before rain started coming down. We had only checked one plant, but decided we must leave. We had picked some zucchini and cucumbers. A close garden neighbor came by the garden just as we were leaving. We had a nice little visit with him before we felt even more rain coming down.

We stopped at another house to hand out some of the produce. That also entailed a chat. It was nice to be on a sheltered porch. Before we got home we passed another house with two people sitting on a porch. They apologized for not coming to our lawn party. We also talked some about the garden as I have given them produce in the past, but I now had none.

I almost feel as if I need to sneak home when I run out of produce. It becomes hard to pass some homes where I know they like it. Often I do keep some for myself. Sometimes I have much more than I need. I almost always pray about who might need it and how I can connect with them. It seems there are always opportunities. Then I have to be thankful for the bounty that I have.

By the time we got home we were a bit wet, but it was hard to know if it was from sweat or rain. We are grateful for that rain as it has been a while and we do not like to water the community garden becasue it is a big job.

We planted a number of cabbages this year. For some unknown reason many of them have developed brown leaves. I find that is not being picked. I did bring one home and was still able to consume most of it. They are also very slow growing.

I just realized that I forgot to look at the okra. That is another plant that people are not so familiar with consequently it is not picked as much. However I have found several people to give them to. We have also used quite a few.


Paula

No comments: