Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Gardens

Hello,

We covered plants last night, but it did not save them. It did save a few green tomatoes that we hope will ripen. The tomatoes by the house had finally started to produce nicely, but the slugs and the squirrels were often feasting before I could pick them, consequently most were lost. At least now we have some green ones in the house where slugs and squirrels do not live and are not welcome. There is something satisfying in pulling the plants and seeing the bare earth. Probably that is not truly good for the earth, but it is certainly what I was used to as a child. At that point I knew the garden work was done and joy was in that time. Now I have mixed feelings. Happiness is there because the work is done, but sadness is there because there will be no more fresh veggies outside my doo.

Leroy and I will go tomorrow and work in the community garden. Mostly that will be getting rid of anything that froze. At home: kale, broccoli, one red cabbage, brussel sprouts, and collards are still thriving. I am hoping that the swiss chard managed to survive as well. We did dig up one parsley plant and one oregano plant so we will have some herbs for a while. Leroy is optimistic that they will survive. I am less so as I know we chopped off hunks of roots.

Last night Leroy and I made a vegetable soup with carrots, green beans, tomatoes, parsley, rutabaga, and celery from our gardens. We did add pinto beans, potatoes, onions, and garlic. We both thought it was quite fine. One never knows with my soups just how good they will be. It tasted just as good, or maybe even better, today. We even used the back porch as a refrigerator. That is somewhat of a throwback to Slovakia, where I was always happy to have some extra cold space. So we can discuss some memories along with good eating.

Paula

No comments: