Monday, November 17, 2014

Plants

Hello,

I have been putting plants in a bucket with water so hopefully they will be happy while we are gone. I just love to look at the sun coming in the window and hitting the green leaves or the blossoms. I have a Mandevilla that I am trying to save for next summer and it still has six blooms and more coming. Then the yellow primrose has one blossom open. My colorful coleus are at church where I can see them if I think to go in that area.

I have two oregano plants of different varieties. One of them was in the community garden. It is so low to the ground that it makes it difficult to harvest. When harvested the leaves are often quite dirty. The rain must have hit the ground and pushed soil into the air.

I could ask my landlady to water the plants, but most of them will be quite satisfied for one week. There are some that I water more frequently, but I believe they will live.

Yesterday Leroy helped me and we froze the last of the leaves in the refrigerator. We stowed away brussel sprout leaves. I have not eaten any, but they look good surely they will be delectable. Then it was on to broccoli leaves and flowerets. Collards we did the day before. The freezer is full and the refrigerator is almost empty. As Leroy said, “It now looks more normal.”

We certainly do not eat the same things that my family did when I grew up, but I have followed my mother’s habit of not having much in the refrigerator at any one time. However, now I am storing many of my granola ingredients in there as I have purchased in bulk and have enough that I do not want them to go rancid even though they are a dry and shelf storage item.

I also have dry falafel as well dry hummus mixtures in there. It would be interesting to learn what is kept in refrigerators. Does that indicate something about a person?


Paula

No comments: