Wednesday, November 5, 2014

People Voting

Hello,

I worked yesterday afternoon. Elections in Ely are held in the library meeting room. That increases the foot traffic in the library. I had over 130 people in the seven hours I was there. Most of the time I was the only worker consequently, I was quite busy. It is great to see so many people out. I am glad that so many people felt compelled to vote. It also means that many people stopped in to take out books are return books. Several people also used the internet, either the wifi or our computers. It amazes me how much that service gets used. I sometimes think everyone has access at home, but it is simply not true. But sometimes it is because their service is unavailable or they do not have a printer.

When I opened the Interlibrary mail there was a book that had been returned from Ely, MN. The package included a nice letter from the staff there explaining that the book had disappeared in their problem pile. We still had this book on record, but noted as lost. It was last checked out in 2010. That is being out of circulation for a long time. Earlier, in the book drop, a book was returned that had been checked out more years ago than that. It is hard to imagine these books just hidden away waiting to come back to us.

Today I shared most of the dried soybeans with one of my neighbors. She was out of town on the day we picked them. She was quite pleased to get them. I will save some of them for seed for next year. Also gave her some of my winter onion bulbs and kale leaves. Even though it has gotten quite cold my garden in front looks quite good with all of those cabbage family plants thriving without the heat. I like it that the cabbage moths are not around now. Fall is good.


Paula

No comments: