Monday, July 22, 2013

Little Trip

Hello,

Leroy and I went a small trip this weekend by driving to my sister’s on Friday, staying one full day, and driving back yesterday. It is 400 miles away so we do not do this very often. We had not been there since we have moved here. I had a couple of things to take to her and she gave me mint to be dried for tea, an afghan to share, canning jars for that expected bumper crop of tomatoes or beans, and a lot of talking time.

A peach orchard is relatively close to their home. Leroy and I bought a peck of peaches. They seemed a bit unripe when we bought them, but sitting a day and riding in the car for a few hours hastened their ripening. The two that we ate for breakfast were just wonderful. I might be pushed to tend to the others before we can eat them as is.

Carolyn likes cats and even though they live on a farm, the cats wiggle their way into the house. At first the two in the house seemed a bit shy of strangers. It was not long before the bravest black and white beauty jumped up into my lap demanding love and attention which I gladly gave. The calico did not did not like to be left out so she also came over, but was more content just to lie beside me on the couch. I used them as the excuse to stay seated when something needed to be done in the kitchen, sending Leroy in my stead. Leroy is not a cat lover. So I expect as long as Leroy is with me, cats will not be with me.

On the way home we drove through lovely rains for at least two hours. It was disappointing to arrive at the garden and learn that no rain had fallen there. Leroy watered plants while I again picked mulberries. I was sad to see that one of the zucchini plants had died. It looked fine on Friday morning, but deceased Sunday evening. Those squash killing bugs seem to operate that way one day things look good and the next, death. I am afraid for my other four plants. At the moment I have nothing chemical to put on them. At least I have gotten many pounds of zucchini from them, enough to share and some to freeze. I am thankful for that.


Paula

No comments: