Friday, July 5, 2013

Illiterate, undisciplined

Hello,

I have to state without fear of reprisal that Iowa has some illiterate and undisciplined wildlife. First there are the gnats. It is with some relief that I note that we have moved back to a species that does not like to bite me, but they still have an annoying habit of swarming around without regard to where they are. Leroy and I again rode to Ely to work in the garden. Again there were gnats getting tangled in Leroy’s arm hairs. I opened my mouth to say something only to have a gnat get caught at the back of my throat. Coughing and hacking were unsuccessful at evicting the offending piece of flesh and in the end swallowing was the most viable solution. I suppose I could have stopped, taken a swig of water, gargled and spat it out. At any rate we must kept moving and I added it to my digestive track. It seems to me that these gnats could share the road a little better. Where is their discipline?

Then there are the geese who think they own the road or bike trail as they wander around without regard to the lane markings. We were able to weave our way through this gaggle of geese, but they, for reasons I do not comprehend, believe that the trail is a great receptacle for geese poop. Sometimes it is hard to find a place that is clear. So I just hope that I do not slip and slide on it. Again, I wonder, “Where is their discipline?”

At the garden we both used some bug repellent. Since I was not actually bitten I guess I would say that was good. However, these critters were not repelled. I showed them the label, but they ignored it. So I read it to them, helping them in their illiterate condition. That did no good. They do not believe in following the rules of human beings. At least now we are surrounded by that new breed of gnat that does not like me as much as they like Leroy. So in part the world has been set right.


Paula

No comments: