Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Cared For

Hello,

Today Leroy took the “newest” car in to get the oil changed. He also asked for a tune up. We had never used this place before, but our landlord and another neighbor recommended them. I got a call from this car place saying that the services were done, but we needed four new tires. They had done some research and gave me a choice of tires and prices. I told them I would talk to my husband. “If you do not get new tires now, you will have to sign a waiver before we let you drive the car off the lot as the tires are in dangerously poor condition.”

I then called Leroy and told him the situation and that I would be happy with any decision he made.

Later in the afternoon the place called and said the car was ready to pick up with new tires. The mechanic came in and talked to me. “Those front tires looked perfect on the outside, but on the inside they were almost shredded. I was afraid to put in air in them, fearing they might blow in my face.”

“Is this the first time you have been here?” he wanted to know.

After my yes, he went on to say, “I do not like to have such a report for a new customer in case you think I am trying to make you buy more things from me. You do not have to have me do it, but you should get new shocks and have the front end aligned. I would just charge you the cost of the shocks and not for the labor as it is quite simple to do. The alignment you would have to have done somewhere else, but I would recommend it because of the strange wear on those tires.”

The bill was a bit what with the tires and other services, but I am grateful that Leroy and I survived that 800 mile trip over the weekend. Thank you, thank you. We had thought about getting a new TV this week, but we are in agreement that safety comes before entertainment.


Paula

No comments: