Monday, July 29, 2013

Applesauce

Hello,

It has been a few years since we have had enough free apples so that I felt inclined to make applesauce. Last night we picked free apples. Free in terms of money exchanging hands and free in terms of sprays. So they are not worm free or work free, but that is a small cost for such goodness. We picked enough to fill two five gallon buckets. I cut and cored some apples discarding only one worm and many seeds. The peels stay on and are cooked along with the flesh. These summer apples collapsed into mush in a short time. After putting them through the Foley Mill I was left with a very small pile of skin to put in the compost bin. For my snack I had this unsweetened applesauce, granola newly made this morning, and plain Greek yogurt. Now all that was a rival of ambrosia! Wow what gifts we are blessed with on a daily basis in the summer harvest season.

Tomorrow I will make up some more applesauce or rather I might wait until Wednesday when I have the whole day free and I can can a load of applesauce to enjoy later. I have yet to taste an applesauce from the store that equals the homemade, straight from the tree, tangy taste.

Then there is the bounty from the garden: zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, peppers, and tomatoes. I have nothing to complain about. Blessings rain down.


Paula

No comments: