Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Store Conversations

Hello, While looking over cards at a store, I was wearing readers with a store tag on them. I did have my glasses, in my bag, but thought this was easier since I intended to buy them. A fellow customer saw that and laughed, “I have done that before.” We extended the conversation and she told me, “I live in Indianapolis. I am here taking care of my mother. I only get home for about four months of the year.” I was looking at Mother’s Day cards and talked about how if someone loses a baby, Mother’s Day must be hard for them. She then said, “I was not able to have children. We went through all the medical possibilities and nothing worked. We could not adopt because my husband’s job meant we moved a lot. It is hard.” I can only hope I said the right things, but mostly I listened. In the grocery store a woman had a youngster in an amazing wagon/stroller that I had seen her get out of the car and unfold. I commented on what an invention it was. She ended up telling me the expensive price and how much she liked it. But there were other models out there that cost much more. Later a little girl grabbed ahold of my cart. I said, “I guess any cart will do.” Her mom commented that I also had oranges, bananas, and carrots in the cart so it might have looked like hers. This mom also seemed ready to talk awhile. I felt so good about all these conversations that leaving the store, I needed to get out of someone else’s way and I left three bags on the counter. It required a trip back from the car to get them. They were all sitting where I had left them. There are honest and good people in the world. Paula

No comments: