Friday, April 12, 2024

Helping Others

Hello, The shopping trip was not going as well as I had hoped. Do you know how many different kinds of curl cream are available? I do not know the precise number, but I can say it is more than twenty. How does one choose? I was at the second store this morning without making a selection. Finally at the third store I picked some and figured I would just try it. True to my buying character it was not so expensive as some that cost twice as much. It also appealed because it could be put on wet or dry hair. Many of them required that the hair be damp, whatever damp is. There were also curl gels, but it was to be cream not gel that my hair cutter recommended. Hair care is big business. At the car, an older woman and a small boy were struggling with two heavy grocery bags (larger than the usual size), two gallons of milk and two other things. They did not get in the car across the way, but stopped and rested before going on. They were joined by a young woman who took on most of the load, but they again stopped to rest. I drove over and asked if they wanted a ride. They spoke Spanish and asked if I spoke Spanish. The younger woman got out her phone, but said, no wi-fi. I got out my phone, put in the phone number that she showed me, but no answer. She provided another number. A man answered. She spoke to him in rapid Spanish. I motioned that I would talk to him. I asked if I could give them a ride and he said OK and gave me the address. With the trunk open they put in all their bags I also put in some random bags that I had in the back seat. Without thinking, I put my purse there with the phone in it. I knew the street they lived on, but had not much idea how the numbers went. I stopped at a gas station, got out my phone and used google maps. We were quite close and going the right direction. They were basically on the way home. I did not get any groceries, but Leroy and I can live a few days off of the food we already have in the house. Slovak words kept coming out of my mouth. Who knew I remembered so much. It lifted me up to do this. I know that I was always so appreciative of people who helped when we lived in Slovakia. Language is such a gift. Mybe I should learn Spanish and six other languages. One of the men called and said, “Thank you for giving my grandmother and aunt a ride. I would like to give you two tacos.” He explained where he worked. Leroy and I went there. It was quite delicious and all homemade. We will recommend this taco bar to others. I decided to accept this offer because sometimes people really do want to give you a thank you. Paula

No comments: