Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Getting Lost

Hello,



With the time and address of the invitation to lunch in hand, it was an easy job to put the info in the GPS. My phone seemed like a possibility, but I have not driven with the phone giving directions. Before leaving the house I also checked on Google maps so it seemed that all of the bases were covered.



All went well until I got into the neighborhood with hills and tangled streets. The names are even confusing with trail, court, or drive attached to several of the same words. At this point my GPS lady informed me that there was no satellite service there. Now you must know that last year it all worked just fine.



I started up one street but it did not feel right, turned around and tried another that said it was a dead end. I did not remember any dead ends last year. I wondered if I were in the wrong area, drove out to a more main street, looked for a place to pull off and try my phone instead. At least I had the address and phone number with me. I have only used my phone for directions once; usually I know where I am. I do not know if I pressed a wrong button, but it would not work.



I tried calling the person I was going to see, but she did not answer. I tried several times. Then I called Leroy, but he did not answer.



Weeping seemed like a good release of tension, but I held it in and wondered about going home. I headed off that direction, but it seemed they (others were there too) would wonder what had happened. I tried calling again, no answer. The GPS still did not work. I called Leroy and he answered. “I do not know where I am,” I wailed, “would you call my friend and tell her I do not know where I am and I am going home. I will wait to hear from you.”



I then tried the phone map once more and it worked immediately. With the phone lady giving me instructions I headed off to my original destination. Perhaps two minutes later the GPS lady was back with me. So between the two of them I was good. Then Leroy called back asking where I was. I told him since those two friendly ladies had just informed me. He then told me where to turn next because he was on the computer using Google maps. I made it to my lunch about fifteen minutes late with two ladies and Leroy telling me where to go. This time no one faded away until I was at the door.



Paula

No comments: