Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Greens, Greens, Greens

Hello,



I heard Leroy get out of bed and take off his pj’s. “What time is it?” I wondered because I had not heard the alarm go off.



“It is 5:29, and I am going to go to the community garden to get some lettuce for my lunch.” Leroy replied.



While leaping out of bed I said, “I’ll come with you,” with visions of greens and a great half mile walk moving through my mind.



The garden is producing produce well. Leroy picked a nice amount of green stuff. On the way home we stopped at a small garden that is by a school in our neighborhood. Last year a man had told me that it was open to the neighborhood, but no one was going there, except himself. I hope that was still true this year because we picked a nice head of lettuce as well as some leaves. The headed lettuce is getting ready to bolt, or at least that is what my mother called it when the heads went off into space and eventually became seed pods.



After we got home I put the head of lettuce on the kitchen counter because we had run out of bags for this bounty. In about one minute I noticed some long, half inch bugs coming out of that head. I smashed two or three of them, but more kept coming. Leroy was stretching in the living room. I called to him, in spite of my belief in the necessity of exercise, “Come kill bugs, I am taking this lettuce outside,” as I raced down the stairs and outside. Hopefully there are no more of these critters roaming around our rooms. Little creepy to think about, but I suspect they do not like humans.



I declare, one day early, summer to be here, bugs and all.



Paula

No comments: