Wednesday, June 6, 2018

The Green Life

Hello,



Yesterday on my way home from voting, I stopped at the old and the new community gardens. At the old I harvested many lamb’s quarters which are vigorously growing up the side of the mound of dirt. But I left enough to feed many more people if they just knew the food value treasure that is available to them. I try to lead by example, but I see no one following. It is something how we ignore the gifts we have been given and seek out other things. Leroy and I had a nice dish at lunch that included some onions, also from the mound of dirt in the old garden. I picked rhubarb that was across the way before I moved on to the new garden where I gathered a variety of tender lettuces. From the land around the house I picked some oregano as well as garlic chives. Those last things made a nice salad for both of us.



I will say that it does take a bit of energy to get all of these greens clean. Three washes seemed to be adequate to me. Or perhaps it is because I just quit looking for any dirt, bugs or odd grass stem.



In the mornings we have green tea with chocolate mint. The mint is harvestable each morning. This task introduces me to the outdoor feeling as well as the flowers that have opened over night such as the lily that was not open yesterday. It is a great way to start the day. Again I have to do multiple washes of the leaves to make sure that all is pure. I chop up the mint to release its flavor in the hot water.



Then sometimes I get a glimpse of the purple finches that seem to have moved into the neighborhood. At least they like to get a drink at our place. Red is a color that attracts. Called purple, but they look more like red to me then purple. They are beautiful to see.



Paula

No comments: