Sunday, June 3, 2018

Garden

Hello,



Three of us worked in the community garden finishing that last bit that had not yet been mulched. While there, Leroy found an ant hill or perhaps I should say that the ants found him.  He got a number of bites on his hands and arms. Luckily his legs were protected enough that they did not get under his pant legs. Had that been the case, I believe we would have been looking at the backside of him as he trotted home to strip. The garden looks quite fine even though some of the seeds did not germinate. That means there is not much lettuce. Our home garden looks fine as well, but it also does not have has much lettuce as I would like. I will have to go get some more of those lambs’ quarters to round out our diet. Luckily the winter onions produce well and I have been adding garlic chives to almost everything. I consider it being a pioneer, eating what is available. Course I add a number of things like watermelon from the store.



The lack of shade in the back is quite noticeable. I miss those branches hanging over us. At least the clothes line is more in the sun so the birds do not sit in the tree and poop on clothes. Also the clothes should dry much faster.



We planted my celery today. Hoping it grows this year. I buy a stalk, cut off the tops, leaving about an inch at the root end, stick it in water and the inner parts start to grow long before the roots form. It strikes me like a mini miracle. Perhaps I should see all growth that way including personal grown into new ideas.



Paula

No comments: