Monday, February 19, 2018

The Colosseum

Hello,



After we got settled in our rooms, we headed out walking and made it to the Colosseum. It was as grand as the pictures I had seen, just larger. How did people make such structures without the aid of our machines to move weighty parts or to visualize without a computer program? Heads/brains were quite the work places. Human labor seemed to be quite expendable in many top minds as there was a seemingly never ending supply of workers who were willing or forced to do almost anything to meet the demand.



I am still astonished to learn that this place seated more than 50,000, but could be emptied in fifteen minutes. It is also hard to study on the fact that much of the entertainment that was avidly watched, involved danger/death to fellow humans and animals. As a species we have a long history of disregard for anyone we categorize as “other”.



Perhaps we no longer put others in an arena to fight it out, but we think of many other possibilities of sabotaging our fellow travelers. I ask for forgiveness for us all.



I did enjoy the walk in Rome getting a view of the streets, parks, and compactness of the city. The lack of rain was also noted and much appreciated.



I did have a copy of the hotel name and address on my person because I was the only in the group without a smart phone. If I had been separated I was prepared to manage a bit on my own. As it was, I kept a good eye on the group and stuck like glue, not that it was hard as we were generally slow moving as a group.



Paula

No comments: