Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Florence

Hello,



Just so you know, I am home, but still writing about our trip because I want to enjoy it once more.



The next day we headed off to Florence on our own with a friendly couple whom we had known in seminary days and were now developing a deeper friendship. The largest downer was that it was raining. Fortunately the cruise company provided one large umbrella per room and I had brought two small ones so all four of us were covered. I remember rainy winter days in Slovakia. I was also prepared with tissue for either nose or bottom. Sometimes toilets either ran short or were not supplied with necessities.



Our first goal was to see Michelangelo’s David. It was indeed quite fine and better than the copies I had seen. How anyone gets such an outcome from chipping at stone is more than I can comprehend. There were quite a few other treasures to look at in this establishment.



After a bit we exited and stood a rainy line to see a Domo (church). One of our group was tired. He sat at any opportunity including a wet bench which he swiped at with his hand before he sat with a sigh. Personally I would have swiped more times before putting my hind side on those places. As it was he chose a spot ahead of us and as we forged ahead he moved on down the line, swiped and sat at will. No other soul considered this rain washed bench worthy of sitting on so he could select a spot with abandon.



Before we were to meet our guide back to the bus, it stopped raining and we were able to take in some more of the beauty of the city.



Paula

No comments: