Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Pisa

Hello,



The next morning we headed out to view that famous leaning tower along with whatever else might be of interest in the area. Because Pisa is not a port city we had a beautiful bus ride through the countryside. I enjoy seeing grass and trees no matter where I am. I cannot remember if I have already mentioned the umbrella pines, so named because of their characteristic shape. Many of them looked quite tall and stately. They also provide some substance to the diet with their pine nuts which are used in cooking.



I can report that the tower is still leaning but has been reinforced, so hopefully it will not be in danger of falling in the near future. I particully enjoyed the beautiful Pisa Cathedral as well as the nearby Baptistery where our guide had been baptized. While there, a demonstration of the acoustics was accomplished by a person who created an echo effect. It was wonderful. Again our guide commented that Christmas Eve services with a cappella singing are uplifting and heartwarming.



On the ship, each evening there would be a talk about what to expect or experience in the next day’s itinerary. I found it informative. My ignorance is almost boundless so I was grateful to know something ahead of time.



Paula

No comments: