Saturday, February 24, 2018

In The Vatican

Hello,



We spend a bit more than three hours in the Vatican being told many interesting facts many of which I have already forgotten. It would have helped if I had known more before I started so I could hang a memory on more than air. I do remember that Michelangelo had never painted before he did the Sistine chapel ceiling. That was so amazing to me that I do remember it. He was known for his sculptures. He was asked because of his fame and no one else wanted to do it. He mostly did his own thing even when his bosses did not like the result. He would have quit if he had had to do it their way.



When we were finished we could have gone back in for a longer look, but we were all ready to take a break.



At this point we realized that we had been inside when it had rained quite a lot. Also there were many people there even though it was a rainy day. Coming early was a blessing as was the rain for keeping the crowds away. Apparently the Vatican averages 35,000 visitors every single day. We could look at our leisure and admire without jostling for space. At first the tour seemed quite expensive, but in retrospect it was well worth the cost for this guide who spoke excellent English.



Later in the afternoon we toured a church that was within easy walking distance of our hotel. It was quite beautiful. I sometimes wonder about the cost of all this beauty and who really paid.



Paula

No comments: