Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Labor Day

Hello,

Leroy and I labored on Labor Day, thankful for the chance to do that. Leroy, whose knee is still a bit painful, did walk to the garden with me. He picked edamame, searched unsuccessfully for cucumbers and zucchini. Happy that people are finding the produce. There were only two ripe tomatoes to be had as well. Now if someone likes collards and kale there is an abundance. We forgot to check on the broccoli. Hopefully it is not flowering. I do like to keep picking the small heads as they add up to a great meal. The okra is growing like it loves Iowa. Those pods get quite long and hard rather quickly. I picked all but the longest. The harvested ones were passed on to a neighbor who said he likes okra. Another of the neighbors told Leroy he likes to pickle the large ones. I hope he goes over soon and finds them. This same man also suggested that we save some for seed. We can do that, but we do not need a field of okra next year. Leroy and I also picked green beans that have put on another crop. They had been attacked by bugs earlier, but look quite fine now. Many of them were too old, but I was still able to get a lot that we will enjoy.

My kale at home looked so beautiful and I was not using enough of it so I shared some with our pastor and wife. It strikes me that I have said, “our pastor”. Life does have changes in it, who knew that I would be able to use that phrase. They would have liked some tomatoes too, but I do not have more than the small ones to pop in your mouth and enjoy. I shared all that I had.  Those yellow ones are delightful. I will save seed. Do you think I can get them going in the spring? A seed saver I have not been before.

Last evening I delivered some of the neighborhood newsletters. I got about half done. It was a hot walk with lots of hill work. But I should not complain because I only spent about an hour at it. Wednesday I will be able to finish it if it does not rain. The community garden needs rain so I would not complain. We have repaired the hose there, but we prefer water from the sky as it is more efficient and easier.


Paula

No comments: