Monday, February 29, 2016

Looks can be deceiving

Hello,

I look outside. The sun is shining, but I know, because of all our sources of weather predictions, that it is not going to last. Spring is not quite here. My boots with wool socks are sitting out so I remember to put them back in the car, just in case. The snow should come after I am finished with work, but it is not totally predictable. Perhaps it is good for us to live with some uncertainty in our lives.

I have read that people with disfigurements are seen by adults who quickly look away. Children will stare at them. I am finding that to be the case with my face. It is easiest for me when someone mentions it. I find I do not want them to think that I look like this all the time. I have an urge to explain to everyone I meet. I am still putting on the cream, but will stop this week. Then healing will settle in. I have been told my skin will look very nice, perhaps even better than it has in the past because some of the spots that I have hidden under make up will be gone. I feel like I should wear a sign that says I am still the same person that I was in the past. I have not changed.

In my neighborhood many people are missing teeth. I feel concern for them, both because of the appearance and the inability to chew or bite off good produce. Do we judge people by their teeth or lack thereof? I suspect so, but is it right? Appearances do mean a lot. I remember many years ago standing in line to vote in a more local election. The man behind me and I were visiting about doing our duty even though we were not so sure about the candidates. He made the comment that one woman was nice looking so he was voting for her. How often does that happen? Could a truly unsightly person win an election? Are we missing the best leaders because of that?


Paula

No comments: