Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sunday Night

Sunday Night
March 17, 2010

Hello,

Slovak Easter customs and a couple food samples were well received. However making those foods was not an easy thing for this non desert maker.

I made the cookie dough Friday afternoon. Luckily Leroy came home before I had done much so he helped. Also the electric mixer, that boasted it could handle the stiffest cookie dough, helped a lot. It can handle the tough jobs. Not really having a clue how many cookies come out of a batch meant that two batches were required to make sure there were enough. You should know that anywhere from 12 to 24 people might come to this social event. The trouble started when I got intimate with the recipe and realized that there was a cup of sugar and a stick plus of butter and only three cups of flour. Better than equal, but high oil and sugar by my standards.

I had borrowed cookie cutters. There were some of rabbit and chicken that did not have small corners so the dough fell out easily. That was a relief. Instructions stated to beat an egg and put it on the top. The big problem is that I do not own a pastry brush. After putting it on a few using a small piece of bunched up paper towel, I declared, “They don’t need this egg. I have had enough of that.” These honey cookies are supposed to be decorated, but that is also not in my skill pack nor am I inclined to learn. Also I did not want to add anymore sugar or oil.

Then I got to thinking. I do not feed these things to my family because I think it is not good for them. Why am I making them for these people? Don’t I love them enough?

I had intended to bake these on Sunday because we were going to be gone all day Saturday. But all at once Sunday afternoon seemed just too crowded with making the meat up since I had not thawed the hamburger and I do not like to force the thaw issue. The strudel was also being made on Sunday afternoon. Of course we go to church in the morning and Leroy does not get home until about 1:00 pm on Sunday for lunch. This event takes place at 6:30 pm so that should be enough time right?

And to think when I first agreed to do this I was planning on making the simplest possible meal, but then Slovakia got into the mix and complicated it.

The cookies baked up just fine after they had been refrigerated for a few hours. That was a relief. Strudel adventures will come in the next installment.

Paula

No comments: