Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hat hair and Playing for church

Hello,

One of the best things about warmer weather is the absence of hat hair. Sometimes even though it is cold and my ears hurt, I do not wear a hat because I want my hair to look nice. Some days straight hair seems the better option, but it does not look so nice on me. I need something fluffed out to the sides to soften the angles of my face.

This morning I played for church so I rode in the car with Leroy. This met two goals; an earlier arrival so there was time to run through all of the music and no need for a hat in the car.

I always like to run through the service especially so I remember when I am doing what and how I am switching books and music.

The music for church went fairly well. I played alternate accompaniments for some verses of all the hymns. One of the accompaniments took off in its own harmonic direction. The plan was that I would say something about the need for people to just keep singing even if they could no longer hear the melody of this familiar tune. The usually slow talking pastor (Leroy) just zipped right on and did not give me a change to say anything. So just before I played this hymn, I was still trying to decide if I should play this flashy alternative. Since the people figured out when to start after the alternative intro and two verses seemed to be adequate to set the melody in their minds, I plunged right onto this new path on the last verse. I was impressed as the majority seemed to be singing the right stuff and we ended together. After the service a few people commented on how much they liked that intro and the verse. Yeah!

For some reason I felt fairly comfortable playing today. Maybe it was those other music responsibilities during the week that were good preparation for being in front of the crowd.

Now it will probably be months before I play again. So I will have to gear up all over again.

Paula

No comments: