Tuesday, March 30, 2010

At home in Chariton

Hello,

Leroy and I made the trip home from SLT without incident. We like unremarkable trips.

Now back to the day spent on the mountain snowshoeing. Naomi, who had come to keep me company with the kids, said, “I wonder where Leroy is? Pastor John had to be back at the church at 12:00.”

I had thought that pastor needed to return by 1:00. At this moment it was now 1:00. Naomi left soon after that as the girls had settled for their naps.

I tried to keep worrying at a minimum. I only imagined him hopeless stuck in SLC not able to come home or stuck deep in an avalanche. Finally at 2:00 I realized that maybe I could get Leroy on his cell phone. He did answer almost immediately, “It is great out here and we are almost at the parking area.”

Because the snow level was not deep and non existent at the lower levels, they had had to go farther up the mountain than planned so it was a more strenuous hike that anticipated. Leroy said, “It was beautiful. The view was great and the air was warm. I had to carry my snow pants and took off one layer of my jacket. We did not walk fast so it was not difficult to keep up.”

“There were a lot of helicopters up there. Apparently there are people who like to go above the ski lifts so they hire helicopters to take them farther up. It is quite expensive, but many people were doing it, especially snowboarders.” Leroy said.

It makes one realize anew that economic downturns do not affect all. And of course, Leroy and I are doing something that many cannot even dream of doing, flying to see our grandchildren and then trekking up the mountain. Course that trek is mostly because of connections rather than money.

Paula

No comments: