Wednesday, March 10, 2010

How we are different

Hello,

Leroy and I watched the movie, Munich. It is about the revenge taken for the slain Israeli Olympians in Munich in 1972. Knowing it would be a serious subject I suggested we watch during the day rather than in the evening. I do not sleep well if I am disturbed before I go to bed.

Interesting that Leroy was more disturbed by this movie than I was. He even had a hard time finishing it. He likes James Bond and others with more violence than I care to see. It was a mystery as to why he did not find this an easy film to watch. After much probing I learned that he really likes stories where there is a clear sense of good and evil with good generally coming out clean and victorious in the end. Leroy tended not to like many of the required readings when he was in school and I guess that is why. I am still learning about this guy, isn’t that good after 38 years of marriage? Or does that mean I am not a good people reader?

When I was the librarian in a high school one of the students told me, “I have too much reality in my life and that is why I like fantasy and Si-Fi books.”

I often like books that are close to life and do not provide clear answers or even positive solutions. However as I have gotten older I do find that I have to be in the right mood to deal with them. I even read a romance for relaxation now and then because they have a happy ending.

At least this explains why we have so much trouble finding movies that we both like.

Paula

No comments: