Thursday, March 25, 2010

Leroy Snowshoeing

Hello,

I had wanted to go snow shoeing, but my foot was giving me a bit of pain so I decided to stay home rather than go on a long hike. An older guy in Miriam’s congregation would be the guide and his wife volunteered to stay with the girls so it could have been possible for me to go.

Leroy was to meet at Stan’s house by 8:00. He gave verbal directions that Leroy faithfully copied. Even though the estimate was that it would take about 20-30 minutes, Leroy thought he should allow time to wrestle with rush hour traffic, get lost, and call for further directions.

We are both visual people so a map would have been nice. We found an atlas that did not have small streets on it. “When I was last here, I am sure I used/saw a Utah state map in the car,” I said.

“No map there,” Leroy reported.

In preparation Leroy did not sleep well, got up early, fussed around about what weight clothes to wear, and no map. The instructions were that it would not be so cold. However, a call in the morning downgraded the temperature. So now it was back to winter coat, snow pants, and heavy gloves.

“Why don’t you use MapQuest?” I asked.

So Leroy turned on the computer in the morning only to find that it turned on with irritating slowness and then for reasons unknown MapQuest would not accept the address.

“Try Google map,” I suggested next.

He could put in the address and get directions, but it was difficult to control the zoom when trying to look at the map, creating more aggravation.

When Naomi came at 9:30 she said, “Leroy was there very early.”

I was just happy that he made it. Later I learned that the directions were good, traffic was light, he made no wrong turns, and only used 15 minutes to travel the distance.

Paula

No comments: