Friday, March 19, 2010

Making Strudel

Hello,

The phyllo dough was in the frig so it could thaw. One recipe had puff pastry, whatever that is, instead of phyllo dough. Since all the rest had phyllo dough it became the logical choice. I have only eaten and never worked with phyllo dough before. It was thinner than I imagined. It split apart in a couple creases as I unrolled it. Somehow that seemed like trouble ahead. It directions said to put melted butter between the layers. A pastry brush might have helped, but a spoon worked.

All this making food for other people makes me nervous and I start talking loudly and more forcefully to Leroy than is necessary. Luckily he seems to realize I am not really yelling at him just at the world and my situation.

Prior to trying to arrange the dough we had peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples coating them with a sugar spice mixture. Some bread crumbs and raisins were also in the mix.

After much grumbling, the dough was ready for the spreading of the apple mixture. “Why don’t I practice these things with just us?” I wailed.

It worked to roll it, but the apple slices were a little bigger making it more difficult to roll. We charged ahead and got the second one ready also. Baking went fast and smelled good. In the end it was ok, but all of the strudel that I had in Slovakia was much better.

I know why I did not practice; I do not like to practice making anything ahead of time. Somehow I manage to do that with music, but after that I draw the line. After all that is how I raised children! It was all practice from day one.

Paula

No comments: