Saturday, November 8, 2008

Snow on the train

Hello,

Leroy and I went to the hardware store this morning to get some insulation pieces to put behind the light switches by the doors since I could feel the breeze coming through. We also got some for the outlets, but not enough. It did make a difference since Leroy just put those in. Seems to me that we should not be feeling breezes inside the house.

On the way home we could hear a train whistle blowing. "Let’s walk closer to the track," I said, "I want to experience it more completely. You know if Olivia were here we would have to do that and she would want us to stand and watch it go by."

We walked over closer and got the full blast of the whistle and the roar of the cars whizzing by. "Look at that snow," I commented as I pointed to the snow and ice stuck to the sides of the cars.

This was a coal train and we have been told they come from Wyoming. Well we have now seen with our own eyes that some places have a lot more snow than we do. We have just a dusting. Miriam however tells us that they have six inches in their yard. Olivia thinks she should be able to walk on it and instead she falls into it.

I rather like these trains. I shall miss them when we go. There are a number of things that I will miss. As one person in Des Moines told me, "I bet you find things you like in every house you live in." She said this after she found out I was not going to see the house or town before we moved in. I have moved into five places without seeing them first and have found something good in all of them. I am not sure that seeing places has created more good. Course you must know that there have always been some negatives about every place. As I learned from Leroy, life has lots of gray areas.

Paula

No comments: