Thursday, October 19, 2023

More hiking October 19, 2023 Hello, I should let you know that we especially liked the Bible studies. The guy who led them was very good. The other daily sessions were also quite thought provoking. So we did more than just walk around. One day we saw some deer were visiting the village. They seemed wary of people, but somewhat accustomed to seeing humans.
Our second hike which was a little longer had more steep places to it. Leroy and I do not agree on the length, so let me just say it was more than a mile long. I wish I had taken off my hat for the picture, but can’t now.
There were some rocks on the trail in places. One of our group slipped and fell on those, but as she said, “I had a soft landing.” The last day’s hike was the longest. Again, Leroy and I disagree about how far we went. I did not want to do the entire nine miles so we found someone else who was going for just some of the trip. This woman was an experienced forest person, but she had injured a knee and did not want to stress it. We did cross a log bridge which took a little courage to traverse. It was only as wide as the tree which had been sawed flat on one side. There were poles attached to it with wire going through the poles. The wire was rather loose so it was not as stable feeling as it might have been. Balance was key for a good outcome. One person on the trip did collapse from heat. This person was not with us, but their group had passed us on the way up. I learned what happens in an emergency. One person ran back to the village, and reported. Then a physician’s assistant was contacted, a helicopter was alerted, and young staff members gathered equipment and ran up the mountain to help bring the person down. As it turned, out they could walk down, but with help and support. I just liked the last picture that was taken at night.
Paula

No comments: