Saturday, October 14, 2023

Going up the Mountain

Hello, We were ahead of most people so I was able to take a picture of the dock without a lot of luggage or people on it.
The boat held at least sixty or more people. It was full of many who were going to our destination. Many of these people had been there in the past and they were renewing friendships. As an introvert, I realized I would have to get used to meeting 90 or so new faces that I might try to remember. It felt a little daunting. The scenery was beautiful and peaceful as it flowed past. This trip took a bit over two hours. It was sunny and breezy so a jacket was helpful when outside. At one stop we did drop off some hikers with large backpacks. I realized that I could not do that type of thing since, if my regular backpack weighs too much, I get a headache. There were three school buses waiting for us to haul us up to the village. This trip started with nine switchbacks. They were quite tight turns. I was happy to have someone else do the driving. On one turn he had to stop and back a little to change the angle so we could make it around. It was beautiful with a great view of the lake fading in the distance. The village is from a copper mine started in the 1930’s. some of the buildings have disappeared and some have been maintained. There are some cottages, lodges, a one room school, and several public meetings buildings including the dining hall which was important at the moment because we were hungry. The food was much like we eat at home. Mostly prepared on site and almost no meat. They did have boiled eggs available at all time as well as fresh homemade bread, peanut butter, jams, fresh fruit, and breakfast type food, as well as three types of granolas. Paula

No comments: