Friday, August 13, 2021

The phone rang

Hello,

 

In the morning, as I was working in the kitchen, the phone rang. I did not recognize the number, but answered anyway. Sometimes I do not answer, but on our home phone we are not as susceptible to scam calls. I said, “Hello, Paula speaking,”

 

No one said anything for a beat or two, then I heard a hesitating voice, “Hello?” after which we went back to just silence.

 

“You called me,” I said rather primly.

 

“I know I did. Are you a car shop?” was the confused inquiry.

 

“No this is a private home.” I responded.

 

“Sorry to have bothered you.” The guy said as he hung up.

 

No so long after the phone rang again.  I thought the number looked like the one I had just seen.

 

I almost recognized the sigh as he heard my name. He then checked my number to make sure it was what he wanted. The next piece of information was not settling as he told me that my number was that given for a special deal on an oil change in the little free rag that comes out weekly. He became quite friendly then and told me I was likely to be getting a lot of calls. I thanked him and told him I was sorry that I could not get him an oil change. About fifteen minutes later the phone rang again. This guy needed a friend. He had called me back to tell me that I did not have to worry about lots of calls because he had read the number incorrectly and had made a nine into an eight. He apologized for this, blaming it on his age and failing eyesight. The phone did not ring for the rest of the morning.

 

Paula

No comments: