Sunday, August 30, 2020

Wandering Around

For August 13-14 #8

 

Hello,

 

After Sarah and her girls left, the house seemed a bit empty, but I was grateful not to worry about how to feed them, although Sarah, and the girls too, were a help with many things. I was grateful they did not do a lot of complaining about conditions. Natalie, (8 Years), commented one day, “I don’t like trees.”

 

I was in serious mourning for the loss of many of these trees. Also it was heart wrenching to see them so stripped of leaves and branches. Recently, I had read a book in which a boy with autism said, “I can hear the plants scream when they die.”

 

I kept wondering did the trees cry and scream when this great wind whipped them, snatching their life away. I certainly cried some for their loss. I still feel like crying from time to time when I see the devastation three weeks later.

 

In the meantime, I continued to hand out ice for the next three days because these neighbors had just coolers and could not take too much at one time. We, along with our downstairs friends, loaned out coolers too. I felt like explaining all over that I did not buy the ice, but I was just storing it. I did not feel that I deserved their gratitude.

 

We had planned to get new internet service the following Saturday. Brian had planned to come on the 15th and help get that set up for us. We got the message to him that it was not likely to happen as we heard that even long time customers in the neighborhood would not have internet by that date.

 

It was like living in a tight little world of our own with little contact with the outside world. It seemed even after five days almost no one knew about us, or at least we saw little outside help. It was neighbor helping neighbor. So grateful for caring people, safety, water, a gas stove, and a car that works. Every day I was astonished at how little we had been hurt even if, as granddaughter Lexi said, “This is like a war zone!”

 

Paula

No comments: