Wednesday, August 26, 2020

At Home

 I forgot to post this the other day.

Hello,

 

I am still writing about the 10th. The front and side walk ways had been cleared enough to be passable. Leroy was outside on the deck with our downstairs friends. There was a large pile of branches on the deck and two large piles in the back yard. Leroy had felt well enough to help a little. I was horrified to learn that he did not go to the basement from the second floor. Pain must sing a stronger song, because he did not think it looked bad as he lay on the couch, feeling the house shake, and looking out the windows. I yelled at him a bit, but I was incredibly grateful to see him and learn that he had not been blown into the next town.

 

I walked up and down the alley being shocked at the mangled trees. I kept wanting to cry, but thinking I should be glad that we were safe and our house was intact. How could there be so much destruction and our home was ok?

 

Sometime before it got dark, we realized we needed to search out lanterns and flashlights. Luckily I knew where those were. We are also relieved that we have a gas stove. With a match or lighter it works. We also have a gas water heater. We could cook and had hot water. Many around us had no such luxuries.

 

Opening the refrigerator was a new kind of task with much thought going in to what I wanted to take out so it could be done as quickly as possible, hoping that most of the cold air stayed inside. All emotions were a roller coaster ride, alternating between joy and dismay. No air conditioning, but the day was not so hot. We were blessed with the simple joy of a clean safe bed to sleep in.

 

Paula

No comments: