Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Missing Piece

August 29, 2020 Reporting on Aug. 11

 

Hello,

 

I think I saved one file on another. Now writing about that time. Also I see that I said Sarah was going to drive 4.5 miles it should have read, 4.5 hours to her brother’s house.

 

On August 10th the day of the storm, we tried to contact Miriam and Sarah to tell them not to come because of no power, little food and no stores open. Because of spotty phone service we were unable to reach them. I even got up in the middle of the night and tried, hoping that more space might be available as others might be sleeping, but not luck.

 

In the morning, I started off for the airport at the time I remembered. It was saved in my phone and the computer which were quite inaccessible. I saw six fallen semis on the short ten mile drive to the airport. At the airport, thinking I was early, I was quite surprised to see them outside waiting for me. I miss remembered the time. They had been waiting for 45 minutes. Sarah was considering what she should do since she could not reach us.

 

In a panicked voice I said, “Who has a phone signal? Who has power on their phone? You must call Miriam and tell her not to come.”

 

They thought I was a bit to of the side of sane. I had to convince them that it was not good here. Around the airport it looked just fine and they said there had been no mention of conditions from the flight crew. We caught Miriam’s family just as they were ready to get on the plane. They had even seen their luggage get loaded. I yelled across the car, “Stay home it is terrible here, no power and not so much food!”

 

We did not know what they were going to do, but we started home. “Someone has to charge their phone in the car. We have no power and no expectation of getting any soon.” I commanded.

 

When I drove on the overpass I could see the interstate was jammed with cars so, with great trepidation, I headed off through town.

These DC people did not think it looked bad at first, but soon we were seeing more trees down or with missing limbs. I kept saying, “Just wait!”

 

They soon saw much more damage and clogged streets. I was on a larger street so it was not too bad. We drove up to a grocery store and there were cars in the lot. “We must stop and get some food. Think about what you might want that will do for one meal with no leftovers and no frozen things.”

 

We gathered a mental list, put on masks, and went inside where there were a lot of people and many were not wearing masks. One of the kids commented that they have to wear them to go in a store. There was also little social distancing. There were many bare spots on the shelves, but we found enough to manage. I had been planning to go shopping with them because they eat so differently than we do.

 

On the drive deeper into the city, they could see many smaller streets still clogged with tree and branches. Course street lights were not working and stop signs were gone. Luckily most people were proceeding in an orderly manner and with courtesy for others.

 

As we went on, Sarah and Lexi noticed that their phone service was not as good as it had been. Welcome to a new way of being.

 

Paula

No comments: