Monday, August 24, 2020

Straightening out life

 

Record for August 11-12 #4

 

We got people situated in the house and went out to explore a little. Leroy mostly just stayed lying down engulfed in pain because over the counter pain killers no longer helped to get rid of it. We also helped clean up around the house as there were many parts of trees to get out to the front where they would be picked up by the city. If you can imagine going down a street with piles of branches on each side of the road you might get a feel for what it was like. Often a street was impassible because of the size of the tree across it.

 

 I was careless and flossed my teeth in the back pulling off the temporary crown. I carefully saved it in a plastic bag hoping, but knowing it was a long shot, that I could go to the dentist the next day for my scheduled appointment. It did not hurt me expect when I might forget and let water or food touch it. That was a good thing.

 

The girls helped by picking up walnuts. They counted them in one container and multiplied ending with them gathering approximately 500 walnuts. That was a big help.

 

In the morning on the 12th I took Leroy to the hospital for a test. While there we saw the scheduler and got the MRI moved up two days. I had to hang on Leroy because he was quite unsteady. He would groan from time to time because his head hurt so much. When we were going home he groaned, holding his head. “Does it hurt a lot now?” I wondered.

 

He replied, “No it itches.”

 

“No fair groaning for an itch,” I almost cried because I was feeling so helpless.

 

After I got him home, I headed off to the dentist. No phone service so I had to drive over to see what was happening. They had a sign on the door that they could not work without electricity and would contact people later.

 

Then Sarah and I headed off to the airport to learn if Miriam’s family had gotten on the plane of not. At the airport we parked in the cell phone lot and walked to the terminal where Sarah could get power. She learned that the family had gotten out of line and even gotten their luggage off the plane.

 

Sarah had suggested we take all devices that needed power so we sat in the lobby of the airport and charged everything as well as made some phone calls.

 

On the way to the airport we saw cars lined up and I could not at first figure out why. It was because a gas station had lights. So they had gas. I guessed there were 50 cars in line. I wondered if they last cars would be gas. I could still go over 100 miles so I thought I would hope that power would be restored closer to home. If not I could still go a bit of a distance.

 

Paula

 

No comments: