Sunday, September 22, 2019

Humming bird and other wildlife

Hello,



Two days ago Clark and I saw a humming bird come to the feeder. I found that quite a pleasant sight. This afternoon Leroy went outside to eat his snack on the deck. In about a minute he came back up to tell me he had seen a humming bird. I considered staying inside to work on a Sudoku puzzle while eating my snack. That was a short consideration. I was outside quickly sitting well back from the feeder. It seemed to take forever before a bird showed itself. I was almost ready to go back inside, but then it came and stayed for a long time. By that point Leroy was in the garage. I called to him. He could not see it because the pole blocked his view. He put down the load he was carrying when the bird left the feeder and flew over his head. I am sorry that he missed it the second time, but glad I could see it. I feel joy.



Leroy did tell me that he saw some painted lady butterflies in the neighborhood. Two years ago we must have been on their migratory route as there were so many that came to our fall sedum. This year the sedum is lying on the ground, both from the rain and because we did not tie it up. I hope the butterflies will still find it. I am happy to live in a place where there is some wildlife in our back yard. It always lifts my spirits.



After the rain, I did take a walk to the nearby park this afternoon. I like being among the trees. Not so much wildlife besides squirrels, but two little children on bikes that they had to show me. Both of them had training wheels. The one was so small that she could not figure out how to back up without mom’s help.



Paula

No comments: