Sunday, September 29, 2019

Picking tomatoes

Hello,



Yesterday there was not time to go to the community garden so I went this afternoon. It was past time for a number of tomatoes, but I still filled three bags as full as I dared. Some of those yellow tomatoes are so fragile that they cannot be piled on each other. The orange ones manage much better.



I was hopeful that I would see someone to share tomatoes with on the way home. Two men were sitting on their porch. When asked, one of the men took a bag. I told them about the community garden hoping they would go there on their own. I do not mind picking the things, but I would like it more if people would come and pick on their own.



I saw someone else go in their house. I knocked on the door and they also accepted one bag. Another woman was sitting on her front porch. She also seemed happy to get a bag.



The two beets in my bag seemed a little old so I just took them home. Plus they have mostly grown out of the ground. I am not sure how that affects them.



The broccoli traveled home with me. I left the green beans on the vine. When it is wet as it was today, they can become rusty although this late in the season it would probably be fine.



At least I saved some of the tomatoes from rotting on the vine.



Paula

No comments: