Monday, September 23, 2019

Garden Produce

Hello,



This morning I got myself in gear to go to the community garden early. Because I do not have to weed, I do not spend much time there. There are a lot of yellow and orange tomatoes there. They are not picked as quickly as the red ones so many of them rot. I have decided it is my job to save them from the rotting fate.



Four small bags that grapes came in were quickly filled. Those yellow tomatoes are more fragile and cannot withstand much weight on them. Then I moved on to pick some broccoli followed by dragon kale and red Russian kale. On my way home, I was happy to see a woman in her car. I asked if she would like a bag of those yellow or orange tomatoes. She replied, “I would like one tomato.”



“Just one?” I wondered.



“I would like to try one and I have beefsteak tomatoes in my back yard.” she replied with a smile.



Farther on, I met a man, who wears a turban, pushing a shopping cart. I have seen him before. I wonder if he is from one of the African countries as I see him by a house where several live. He took a big and plopped it in his shopping cart. I saw a neighbor across the street. So I offered a bag to him which he also accepted. Then my downstairs friends took one bag. That left me with one bag which I can manage.



The kales and broccoli I kept. I will use them for sure. The broccoli is not quite of the standard sold in the store, but I suspect it is just as great nutritionally.



Paula

No comments: