Friday, August 31, 2018

Pears Canned

Hello,



I canned more pears today. As with those done before they do not look beautiful, but the taste is wonderful. Because there are not so many ripe at a time I have only done 5 or 4 quarts at a time. Now we have a total of 14. I suspect there will be two more batches with four or five quarts in each. I will do one tomorrow and one Monday if they appear to need more time to ripen. It was so nice to cut those today as they were much riper than the precious loads. I miss Leroy’s help, but I can manage by myself. I just get tired and have to keep convincing myself to carry on. We will appreciate these offerings this winter. Does that mean that summers work makes a lazy winter? I do not can nearly as much as my mother did. I remember much labor almost every day once the garden was ready for harvesting. Carolyn and I would help mom and Robert helped daddy. Seems to me we just knew that is what we had to do and there was not much arguing or complaining about it. Perhaps it was helpful that we were, in a sense, isolated on the farm without other children who wanted to play.



I am disgusted with myself because I did not watch one pan of pears close enough and it scorched. Also I guess it could be said that I did not put in enough water and it boiled dry. It just created more work to clean it up. The internet site had some excellent advice which I followed so the pan looks good once again.



Paula

No comments: