Monday, August 20, 2018

Walking and Picking Up


Hello,



Last night while Leroy was working, I took a short walk and picked up trash. Two plastic grocery bags seemed like plenty. Leroy and I had just recently picked up our block so I went one block over. At first there was not much to be had, but when I turned the corner it was a different story. The first bag was rather quickly topped off with the second trying hard to catch up. On the home ward trip I was happy to see another bag floating around. I snagged it and finished filling the second before starting on that third bag. It was great to have found it as I filled it as well. Perhaps more would have fit if the fillings were pushed down, but I did not do that. As Leroy said the last time we did this, it is a good feeling to have gotten this worthwhile job done. The last time we did it a walker and a driver both paused to thank us for doing such a job.



Last night I did find a toy that belonged to a boy who was out front playing. I suspect he had forgotten where he had put it. His mom did tell me that they had picked up everything they saw that belonged to them, but somehow had missed that.



Yeah, for a cleaner neighborhood! In September there will be a cleanup that involves neighbors as well as the students from both of the close colleges. That way a very large amount of space can be covered with so many more people involved. When picking up I try to gather up all the cigarette butts, but when alone I do not get such a thorough job done as I want to get the big stuff for sure. Even though one of the college students talked to me at length about the damage to the earth that those small butts do, it is so time consuming to pick them up that I start slacking off. The city has some bags that they hand out for a clean city. My bag is now full and I must get another. I like that sense of accomplishment as well. I also wear gloves that were provided by the city. They are trying to make if easy.



Paula

No comments: