Sunday, August 26, 2018

Pears

Hello,



I finally got up the courage to ask a woman about pears or apples that, in the past, she has to given away because there has been more than she can use. She was pleased that I asked. Her daughter was even more pleased when she found out about our plan.



When I called to ask about picking pears yesterday, since I did not know exactly when they would be ripe, I asked, “Could we come and look at the pears today?”



The reply was, “You should do more than look! They are ready right now. I have canned some, but I do not need any more.”



Leroy and I gathered a number of buckets and went out to pick the bounty. Most of them were green, but some felt soft. Leroy wore out his arms using the “apple” picker. We got several buckets picked before Leroy decided that he could not reach any higher fruits. The ones at the top always look the best. After a nice visit with the owner of this tall old tree we came home, rested a while, but then started preparing the pears for canning pear sauce which is just like apple sauce, but pears instead. We picked out the very ripe or bruised fruit to use first. There were only four quarts, but we/I will do more another day. It is great to have all the summer bounty.



It almost gives me the feeling that I am helping out by taking them. I know that when I have an abundance of something it is nice to find a home for it. I do not like to throw something away if someone else can use it.



Paula

No comments: