Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Getting Gas

Hello,



I knew the car was low on gas, but that I could get to work and come home one more time. On the way home, the low gas light came on reminding me that I could not go very far next time. I altered my route home a little so I would go past a gas station. No one else was at the pumps so I could pick my spot. Grateful for the roof over the pumps, I chose an interior one so the wind would not force rain on me. I grabbed my credit card, ran through the steps as I had done many times, but no fuel came out of the hose. I jiggled the release lever, jiggled the handle of the spout, tapped again the gas that I wanted to get, and groaned as there was no positive result. I put everything back and started over with the same result. Then I was asked if I wanted a receipt. I took it glad that it listed the sale was zero dollars.



At that point I decided I would move to the pump on the opposite side of this one. I got in the car started up and just listened to the fasten seat belt ding as I moved the car going backward and forward, parked the car got out, and realized I was too far from the pump. Again I was regaled with the seat belt ding warning as I maneuvered into a better position. The digital display on this pump was much better. It even worked as the gas poured into the tank. I responded that I would like a receipt; however even after waiting a while nothing happened. I like to keep tract of expenditures so I drove as close to the door of the small building as I could get. In spite of that I got a bit wet.



Apparently I must have looked a bit disgruntled because the woman in there told me it was just a little water. I then smiled and told her that I needed a receipt. As she was getting that I told her that I had been unable to get gas at the other pump. “No one has said that all day today,” she told me.



“I guess I am just talented,” I said.



At that we could both laugh. I left feeling grateful that at least the second pump worked, I could get a receipt, and I did have money to pay for the gas. I was dry most of the time and there was plenty of light so I could see what I was doing.



Paula

No comments: