Thursday, December 7, 2017

Old, Who Me?

Hello,



Today at work, a book salesman was showing his children’s book samples to those who will make the choices to buy or not to buy, when he took a break to get something letting the deciders confer. As he came past the desk where I was working he told a story that involved an elderly librarian of at least 65 or 70 years old. I was astonished that he was telling this to me in this way. But then I wondered, “Perhaps he has no idea that I will be 70 in just two and a half weeks.”



That is possibly the way it is even though people have generally thought that I am older than I actually am.



I also felt a twinge at labeling people who are 65 or old as elderly. I do not consider myself elderly even though I consider myself older. Interesting how it all changes and the term used makes a difference. In my view finder, people in their late 60’s or early 70’s used to be quite elderly, but now they are in the prime of life.



I do not know just how old this man is, but I thought he would be late 50’s or possibly even into his 60’s.



Maybe with age, I just look younger and younger. I do not believe that, and it does not matter. What is, is. I am just happy to be alive and well. I expect to be working for a bit of time yet.



Although Leroy commented last night after we went to bed and he was so tired, “I am getting ready to retire soon; at least one of my jobs is enough.”



If he only retires from one job and we stay longer, I will probably keep working as long as I feel like am doing a good job.



Paula

No comments: