Sunday, October 9, 2016

Exciting Dinner

Hello,

Leroy and I discussed what to prepare for supper. We say supper instead of dinner. It is a word we both grew up using. He had talked about pizza yesterday, but now he mentioned waffles. I convinced him to go back to the pizza idea because I had a kale pizza recipe that also used lemon. The lemon in the refrigerator was getting tired and almost expired. The kale in our front garden is beautiful. Leroy gave in fairly easily. Even though this recipe was very basic I wanted to boost the ingredients.

We were out of peppers and mushrooms. Leroy volunteered to go to the community garden for peppers. Here might be mushrooms there, but we might not be alive to tell you about them so we ignore such. I convinced him to ride his bike which he has not done since he hurt his knee at the end of July. He did ride and he said, “It was fine except for the brace pulling against my leg stroke.”

While he was gone I cut up some tomatoes and proceeded to put them in a pan to make a quasi sauce for pizza. Tomatoes were not on this pizza according to the recipe. I also mixed up the dough from whole wheat flour, that is fairly normal, but I do not make it often and I did not use a recipe.

I cut up onions to add to the mix, also not in the recipe. By the time Leroy came home, I had burned the sauce, but decided to called it browned and tipped it out of the burned area.

Leroy squeezed the lemon, and cut up the kale, putting it in the frying pan along with some garlic. By the time that was ready I had flattened the dough on two pans, added tomato paste and pizza spice to the sauce that I had made, and spread it around on the dough. We sprinkled on some onion, green peppers, added the kale mixture and TVP that was a little more liquidish than I liked. Shredded cheese topped it all

Earlier Leroy had also put water on some TVP (texturedized vegetable protein), but it had not absorbed all the water, but we used it anyway. The oven was hot so we put them in, set the timer, and waited.

When we got it out of the oven we were unable to get it off the pans. I realized I had forgotten to add oil to the dough. Finally with much persuasion, it came off one pan. We promptly ate that. The other we had to tackle with progressively stronger spatulas. The pizza tasted, according to Leroy, “Ok.” I liked it a little more than that, but I was grateful that we did not have guests to eat with us as getting it to our plates was such a struggle.

This all gets exciting because I start getting bossier and louder when things do not come together as I think they should. Leroy just keeps plugging along. Luckily he rolls with whatever I dish out.

Now we have settled in for a quiet evening of reading.


Paula

No comments: