Sunday, October 2, 2016

Driving on Friday

Hello,

On Friday the bridges in the city were still closed except for the Interstate Bridge. Leroy’s boss came and took him to work because they could get back into the museum. One of our cars was in for a checkup. Leroy called me about four to tell me that I could come get him so we could get the car home. I set out to the interstate only to see that cars in the direction that I wanted to go were stopped. I had heard tales of people being on the “380 parking lot” for an hour. I did not want to risk it so I headed in the opposite direction and took the long way around. It really was the long way around. Besides the distance, I had to stop for almost every stop light that I met up with. Also there were a lot of cars jockinging for the same spot from time to time. Then as I got closer to the museum there were some streets that I could not use as they were still blocked for flood control. By the time I got there, I was ready to melt into a heap. It seemed it would have been better to ask for other help to pick up the car and let Leroy come home with his boss who drives through or close to our neighborhood to go home.

As Leroy got in the car he commented, “I could have come home with Dave since he is ready to go home now.”

We drove up the easy way to get the car and moved without slowing much or stopping. After we got the car we both drove a car home, but used the streets which were jammed with drivers looking for that alternate way around. I was tired, but happy to be home at 6:30.

Today, Sunday, the bridges are all or mostly all open. Tomorrow will be a regular day moving around the city. Blessing indeed! It reminds me again that I am not grateful enough for the things that work.


Paula

No comments: