Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Safety

Hello,

At church on Sunday I went to a session about violence in our city. Safety came to mind and I wondered what makes us feel safe. As I stated previously I am not afraid to walk in my neighborhood. On the night of the moon eclipse many of the neighbors were outside to watch it from time to time. One of those was a single mother who told about how she drove her children out to the country to watch the meteor shower earlier in the summer. According to her it was great to see, but a bit scary out there in the middle of nowhere; however she assured us, “I took my dog along.”

As a former farm girl I do not find the country scary, or at least I did not when I lived there. We did not have an outside light in my early years so it was quite dark. I considered that perfectly normal.

It seems so ironic that my neighbor is so comfortable living and moving around in this area, but the country is not safe. I know many people who would not consider this area safe. Is it all a matter of familiarity? Just what makes a place feel safe to one and not to another? I understand that the college students in this neighborhood feel safe on campus, but not when they get off. Is it a matter of perspective and gossip, especially when nothing has happened directly to them or anyone they know?

Then I also wonder if safety is an illusion. Because is there any place that is totally free from danger of either the natural variety or the human variety? I remember from a college sociology class that the small town is but a microcosm of the city. Negative things can happen anywhere just not with the frequency in a small place.

I have to confess that when I walk home I often note that I feel more comfortable the closer I get to my house. Seems to me it is that familiarity thing. Also one of my neighbors warned me about walking at night because there were some not nice people around. He assured me that when I was close to the house he and his dog would watch out for me. Without describing this person too much, I can say that I would find him rather frightening to come upon in the dark. But I know him so he is ok or as ok as I can ascertain.


Paula

No comments: